Am I a grown-up or nah?
I’m 29 years old. I’ve been married for 9 years. I’m a parent. I own a house. I’ve moved across the country. I pay taxes. By all laws and standards I am, in fact, an adult. BUT…
I don’t feel like an adult most of the time. I like to watch Spongebob Squarepants. I like to play video games. I don’t have a job. Sometimes I find adults boring. Basically I’m stuck somewhere between being a high schooler and a college kid, and I realize that I’m way too far removed from either of those life stages to lay a legitimate claim to them.
There are, however, rare times when I do feel like an adult and the whole ‘being a grown-up’ thing makes me feel like a BOSS.
I feel like a grown up when:
- I eat food that I made
- I eat whatever I want, whenever I want (cornbread for 2 of 3 meals wuuuut!?!)
- I leave my house and go nowhere in particular
- I plan a trip
- I pack for a trip earlier than the night before
- I pay more than $40 in cash at the store
- I purchase any single item that is more than $50
- I stay out late with my friends
- I get stuff in the mail or delivered to my door
I’m responsible, generally punctual, and function well in society, but I don’t feel completely like an adult…and I’m okay with that.